Another app has arrived for the budding audio guy. This one is Decibel Ultra, and it is free. So of course I had to download it and give it a try. It is a pretty cool looking app. It also seems to work they way that it is intended. I very useful feature that I find helpful is the dual meter display, one shows average readings and the other indicates peak readings. you can also adjust response time, set the offset. But there is one feature that could be very useful and that is the ability to record up to a thousand reading and email them. so if you do have a noise problem you can a least have some info for you to use to solve this problem. The only thing that could be a worry is the accuracy of the software, but if you compare it with a known dB meter you can then calibrate it to match. This is really another useful way to use your iPhone, certainly better than using it as a phone.
I have over the last few days made a good use of this app once I had calibrated it. I found it useful for monitoring audio levels doing shows to make sure that we did not exceeded any legal requirements. It could also be used in an OHS capacity in factories etc to make sure that worlkers are nor over-exposed to high sound levels.
On the whole this is a great little app, and being free, it is worth its purchase price.
• Uses different graphics for normal and retinal displays, optimal for the best Presentation.
• Display of the average and peak value, and maximum memory for both.
• Really easy and intuitive operation.
• The offset can be set manually at any time.
• Relative measurements are possible any time.
• The sampling rate can be changed any time.
• Two analog display panels.
• histogram curve.
• Clean interface.
• Calibration menu
• Support for 180 degree rotation.
• Each setting is stored immediately.
• Internal and external microphone is supported.
• You can select a alternative analog panel.
• Long- term measurements are possible without sleep.
• Reset button to reset max. values, rate and offset.
• Calibrated values are separated for internal / external microphone saved.
• Calibrated values for the iPhone (3G, 3G, 4) and iPod Touch (2G, 3G, 4G) are integrated.
• REC button to record up to max. 1200 measured points. The measuring point of the record can then copy or send it by e-mail, including date and time format in ISO 8601.
• Help- and Information View in English, German, French and Italian.
More info HERE